You have just mounted a manufacturer new Home windows 7 operating technique on your laptop or computer. Home windows 7 is certainly a good OS and practically definitely you are having fun with numerous of its features. Faster or later you decide to share a PowerPoint presentation with you colleague. You sort “conf” in the Run menu to hearth up a excellent aged NetMeeting. You hit Enter anticipating a new and improved interface and… almost nothing transpires. Hold out, is my Windows set up broken or did they rename the software program again?
The place is NetMeeting?
Let us make it crystal clear proper from the beginning – there is no NetMeeting in Windows 7. Microsoft eradicated it from their most recent OS. Why? They are pushing companies to deploy absolutely-showcased unified conversation options such as Microsoft Lync. But what about those of us who are not prepared or just don’t want the complexity of such resolution? All is not shed and there are some selections offered.
What are the possibilities?
Let’s choose a brief glimpse at some instruments that can be deemed a NetMeeting replacement for Home windows 7.
Microsoft official solutions
NetMeeting in XP Mode – in essence you run a Windows XP digital equipment within just your Windows 7 OS.
- Absolutely free (in Windows 7 Experienced, Company, or Final).
- You get full functionality of NetMeeting.
- Only out there in Windows 7 Specialist, Enterprise, or Best.
- Major – working a individual OS just for one software would seem like overkill to me.
- Requires non trivial installation and configuration – may well be a challenge for close consumers.
Microsoft SharedView – can not be regarded as a direct substitution for NetMeeting considering the fact that it isn’t going to allow you to hook up to an additional machine’s IP directly. That is, it really is not working with a peer-to-peer (P2P) relationship.
- Microsoft’s formal substitute for Home windows 7.
- Absolutely free.
- Improved features.
- Performs around World wide web and hence necessitates World-wide-web link.
- Much less protected – your knowledge leaves your non-public network.
- Sluggish on nearby community considering that it is really not P2P any longer.
- Needs Home windows Live ID development.
- Restricted to 15 participants.
- Necessitates installation.
3rd celebration solutions
Tools like WebEx, LogMeIn, and so on are commonly readily available from quite a few sellers. Functionally-sensible they are even farther from NetMeeting than Microsoft SharedView and can be described by a lot of customers as “also substantially”. The only condition in which I would suggest utilizing this sort of a device for NetMeeting substitute is when your business has currently applied it and pays for it.
- Loaded features.
- Your business could possibly have them previously deployed.
- Most of them are internet-primarily based.
- Typically intricate consumer interface – functionally overloaded.
- Have to have World wide web connection and ID generation.
- Not P2P and typically gradual.